In 2017, Equifax experienced a data breach that impacted 147 million Americans. Sensitive personal information, such as Social Security numbers, account numbers and drivers’ license numbers, were exposed. The breach left each affected individual vulnerable to identity theft.
Equifax agreed to a settlement with the Federal Trade Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and 50 states and territories. It was finalized in January 2022.
The settlement administrator will contact individuals who filed a valid claim requesting free credit monitoring services from the settlement. Information will be sent via email and letters.
Important Details About Settlement Benefits
Courtesy of the Federal Trade Commission
- Eligible claimants will get free membership in Experian IdentityWorks? for four years.
- This service is free for you. You do not need to provide any payment information to enroll. You do not need to cancel the service when it ends.
- To enroll, visit the Experian IdentityWorks website. Enter the Activation Code from the email or letter you received. You can also call 1-877-251-5822.
- You must use the Activation Code by June 27, 2022. Your activation code will not work after this date.
- Legitimate emails about this settlement will come from Equifax Breach Settlement Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The administrator will not call you about the settlement, but you can reach the administrator by phone at 1-833-759-2982.
For more information about the settlement and to review frequently asked questions regarding benefits, visit the Federal Trade Commission website.